JPL News - Day in Review

Title: JPL News

DAY IN REVIEW
NASA JPL latest news release
JPL Debuts 'A Ticket to Explore JPL'

NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, California, is taking a different approach to opening its doors to the public one weekend each year. To ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for attendees, the event formerly known as "Open House" will require tickets in 2016.

The new version of the public weekend, called "A Ticket to Explore JPL," will take place on June 4-5. Tickets are free but limited, and will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis. The maximum number of tickets per requestor is five. No one will be admitted without a ticket.

"Open House 2015 attracted so many people that we couldn't accommodate everyone, and we knew we needed to try a different way of bringing in visitors. We're excited to improve the guest experience with the new ticketing system," said Kim Lievense, manager of the JPL Public Services Office.

Visitors to JPL during "A Ticket to Explore JPL" must have their tickets in hand, and those age 18 or older must show a matching ID. Tickets are not transferable. Tickets will be available as of April 25 at 9 a.m. PDT on JPL's Special Events web page, where you can also find additional information.

"A Ticket to Explore JPL" is a journey through the wonders of space. Highlights include a life-size model of the Mars rover Curiosity, a robotics area showcasing various robots that researchers are working on; JPL's machine shop, where spacecraft parts are built; and the Microdevices Lab, where engineers and scientists use tiny technology to revolutionize space exploration.

Keep in mind that most experiences at "A Ticket to Explore JPL" are not intended for the very young.

Vehicles entering NASA/JPL property are subject to inspection. Visitors cannot bring these items into NASA/JPL: weapons, explosives, incendiary devices, dangerous instruments, alcohol, illegal drugs, pets and all types of skates, skateboards, and Segways. Bicycling to NASA/JPL is welcomed, but not inside the event, as the venues are crowded with pedestrians. Bike racks will be provided near the main entrance. No bags, backpacks or ice chests are allowed, except small purses and diaper bags. Drones are not allowed to fly over NASA/JPL under any circumstances.

Be sure to follow @NASAJPL on Twitter and Instagram using the hashtag #ExploreJPL. The Facebook event page is at:
http://www.facebook.com/events/1165787606766881