See the "Unseen," Get Adopted, Grab the Goods!

Title: Training for Southern California Teachers

See the "Unseen," Get Adopted, Grab the Goods!

* Educator Conference - November 4-5, 2006
Stars and the Infrared Sky - Stellar Evolution and Our New View of the Cosmos

In a prior message we suggested that you save the November 4-5 dates for an educator conference on stellar evolution, the lives and deaths of stars.  As we began to plan the content a bit more deeply we realized what tremendous strides have recently been made in astronomy by spacecraft such as the Spitzer Space Telescope (formerly known as the Space Infra Red Telescope Facility) (http://www.spitzer.caltech.edu/).

By using infrared light, Spitzer has been looking into and through the gas and dust in the universe and, along with other ground and space-based observatories like the Galaxy Evolution Explorer (http://www.galex.caltech.edu/), showing how material moves from cloud to star and back again in our and other galaxies.  Stellar evolution is the theme that ties what we see together.

Educators and museum staff are invited to attend.  Presenters will include scientists, engineers and JPL educators. The conference will take place at JPL in Pasadena, California.  Space is limited and pre-registration is required; it will not be possible to register at the door.  The conference will run 8:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. on Saturday and 8:00 A.M. to Noon on Sunday.

To register please provide the following information:
Name:
Title:
School/Organization:
Subject(s) Taught:
Grade(S) Taught:
Address:
State:
Zip Code:
Contact information for last minute changes (E-mail & phone):

There is a registration fee of $40 to offset costs including materials and food (continental breakfasts and morning breaks both days, box lunch and afternoon break on Saturday).  Make check payable to "Jet Propulsion Laboratory" and mail to:

Stars Educator Conference
Attn: Trisha Wheeler
Mail Stop 180-109
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena, CA 91109
(818) 393-6667

The registration deadline is Friday, October 27 and, once registered, there are no refunds.

We will have additional information at JPL Education Events web page: http://education.jpl.nasa.gov/events.html

* NASA Explorer School Application Now Available

The on-line application for the NASA Explorer School program is now live at http://explorerschools.nasa.gov/ .  Go to the "Program Application" tab at the top of the left navigation bar.  The site also has lots more information about the program.

Briefly, NASA Explorer Schools (NES) is sort of like an adoption program between schools and a NASA Field Center.  Each spring the NASA centers select up to five new schools for the three year period (150 nationally).  NES provides professional development, school programs, technology grant money, unique opportunities and other support to the selected schools.  The program is very competitive.  A school team consists of four teachers, one of whom is the team lead, and an administrator.  In our experience, the strongest NES schools have true teams of colleagues who are motivated, energized and a bit entrepreneurial.  NES provides an opportunity to use NASA science, technology, engineering and mathematics content as an organizing concept on which to focus school improvement initiatives and/or contribute to school identity and esprit de corps.

The application deadline is the end of January but consider looking at the program website, reviewing the criteria, and beginning investing in the application sooner rather than later.
* NASA's Educator Resource Center Network (and adjusted hours for JPL's ERC)

Some of your tax dollars have gone into the development of NASA educational curriculum supplements.  Come get your rebate (in the form of curriculum guides, lithographs, posters, etc.).  NASA operates a network of Educator Resources Centers in all 50 states.  Find your local ERC at http://education.nasa.gov/about/contacts/Educator_Resource_Center_Network.html and NASA CORE at (http://education.nasa.gov/edprograms/core/home/index.html ).

Hours and schedules vary at each ERC so be sure to call before making a trip.  Educators in the Southern California area should know that JPL's ERC will be closed every other Friday.  Although reservations for a visit are not required, it is a good idea to call to be sure we'll be there and can give you our full attention.  JPL's ERC information is at http://education.jpl.nasa.gov/erc.html.