Re: [Announcement] io_uring Discord chat

On 5/17/24 6:25 PM, Jason Bowen wrote:
>> I'm really open to whatever, however I do think it's a good sign if
>> an existing similar community is already using zulip. But as is
>> customary, whoever does the work and sets it up, gets to choose :-)
>
> Not to be that guy (and I'm just a lurker/observer [for now, at least],
> so feel free to ignore me), but a lot of the other kernel communities
> are using IRC (generally libera.chat or oftc.net).

IRC was fine in the 90s, honestly things have moved on. It's not usable
without some kind of intermediary that makes it work disconnected, and
it's not searchable without having logging separately too. So hard pass
on IRC. I used to use it a lot, but decades ago, and even the use I
still have today is pretty miserable.

> I may be wrong, but I'd suspect some in the community are leery of
> closed platforms like Discord.

And probably rightfully so, but at least we have other suggestions in
the thread now which seem more tenable imho.

> P.S. relevant xkcd: https://xkcd.com/1782/

Right, and not exactly in favor of IRC :-)

--
Jens Axboe