VU NVMe commadns with io_uring? NVME_URING_CMD_IO

HI Folks!

Trying to send down some vendor unique NVMe commands with io_uring and fixed buffers via NVME_URING_CMD_IO.

I have no issues sending standard NVMe read/write requests, but we are working on some VU commands which have
buffer and length in different command payload offsets. So I'm trying to find where io_uring populates the NVMe cmd
payload for a "write" (outbound) or "read" inbound request.

This percolates into drivers/nvme/host/ioctl.c: nvme_uring_cmd_io() as expected where io_uring_cmd points to the
expected cmd payload and a local struct nvme_command is created to be encoded into a user request via
nvme_alloc_user_request() call.

Within the nvme_alloc_user_request() call nvme_init_request() is called which performs a
memcpy(nvme_req(req)->cmd,cmd, sizeof(*cmd));  which is basically copying the local
struct nvme_command to the request structure. The issue though is the buffer and length
are not populated in the cmd payload at this time.

Instead this happens somewhere else at I/O processing time which I haven't found yet.
I'm trying to track that location down and was wondering if I'm on the right path here or not.
Any suggestions on where this update occurs would be incredibly useful. Also we're hoping
to have multiple fixed buffers for a specific command specified within the cmd payload
In order to provide for extended key data on the commands. Essentially providing KV support
for store/retrieve of keys larger than what can fit in the command payload.

We're on a path to use fixed buffers and to be able to map them on demand for the VU
commands, but inserting them into the command payload is the missing point at present.

Also are there any future plans to support VU commands within io_uring? Trying to get the
infrastructure in place to allow that now. The long term goal would be to support a KV
command set effectively in io_uring, but in the meantime provide it via the passthru capability.

Thanks!
Doug

Doug Coatney
Associate Technical Fellow