Re: [LSF/MM/BPF ATTEND][LSF/MM/BPF Topic] Non-block IO

On Wed, Apr 12, 2023 at 06:56:15PM +0530, Kanchan Joshi wrote:

> > > So I am looking at prototyping it, exclusively for the polled-io case.
> > > And for that, is there already a way to ensure that there are no
> > > concurrent submissions to this ring (set with IORING_SETUP_IOPOLL
> > > flag)?
> > > That will be the case generally (and submissions happen under
> > > uring_lock mutex), but submission may still get punted to io-wq
> > > worker(s) which do not take that mutex.
> > > So the original task and worker may get into doing concurrent submissions.
> >
> > It seems one defect for uring command support, since io_ring_ctx and
> > io_ring_submit_lock() can't be exported for driver.
>
> Sorry, did not follow the defect part.
> io-wq not acquring uring_lock in case of uring-cmd - is a defect? The same
> happens for direct block-io too.
> Or do you mean anything else here?

Maybe defect isn't one accurate word here.

I meant ->uring_cmd() is the only driver/fs callback in which
issue_flags is exposed, so IO_URING_F_UNLOCKED is visible to
driver, but io_ring_submit_lock() can't be done inside driver.

No such problem for direct io since the above io_uring details
isn't exposed to direct io code.

Thanks,
Ming