Re: [Bug] io_uring_register_files_update broken

On 7/1/21 3:01 PM, Daniele Salvatore Albano wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Jul 2021 at 00:28, Pavel Begunkov <asml.silence@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On 6/30/21 10:14 PM, Victor Stewart wrote:
>>> i'm fairly confident there is something broken with
>>> io_uring_register_files_update,
>>> especially the offset parameter.
>>>
>>> when trying to update a single fd, and getting a successful result of
>>> 1, proceeding
>>> operations with IOSQE_FIXED_FILE fail with -9. but if i update all of
>>> the fds with
>>> then my recv operations succeed, but close still fails with -9.
>>>
>>> on Clear LInux 5.12.13-1050.native
>>
>> Thanks for letting know, I'll take a look

[...]

> I sent an email a while ago to raise a question about a potential bug
> related to close.
>
> Looks like the close doesn't support registered files (although I saw
> some code within a patch from Jens to fix it while I was
> investigating).

It have never been supported, don't remember it being discussed to
be implemented at any point, and the links below are about
unrelated things.

If you want to close a fixed file, you can use
IORING_OP_FILES_UPDATE with fd=-1 instead. Easy enough to
add it to close, but not sure I see the reason for that considering
existence of IORING_OP_FILES_UPDATE.

fwiw, it doesn't sound related to Victor's report, but still need
to look at it.

--
Pavel Begunkov