Re: "Cannot allocate memory" on ring creation (not RLIMIT_MEMLOCK)

On 20/12/2020 07:13, Josef wrote:
>> Guys, do you share rings between processes? Explicitly like sending
>> io_uring fd over a socket, or implicitly e.g. sharing fd tables
>> (threads), or cloning with copying fd tables (and so taking a ref
>> to a ring).
>
> no in netty we don't share ring between processes
>
>> In other words, if you kill all your io_uring applications, does it
>
> no at all, the io-wq worker thread is still running, I literally have
> to restart the vm to go back to normal(as far as I know is not
> possible to kill kernel threads right?)
>
>> Josef, can you test the patch below instead? Following Jens' idea it
>> cancels more aggressively when a task is killed or exits. It's based
>> on [1] but would probably apply fine to for-next.
>
> it works, I run several tests with eventfd read op async flag enabled,
> thanks a lot :) you are awesome guys :)

Thanks for testing and confirming! Either we forgot something in
io_ring_ctx_wait_and_kill() and it just can't cancel some requests,
or we have a dependency that prevents release from happening.

BTW, apparently that patch causes hangs for unrelated but known
reasons, so better to not use it, we'll merge something more stable.

--
Pavel Begunkov