Re: [RFC 1/2] io_uring: disallow overlapping ranges for buffer registration

On 6/12/2020 8:16 AM, Jens Axboe wrote:
On 6/11/20 8:23 PM, Bijan Mottahedeh wrote:
Buffer registration is expensive in terms of cpu/mem overhead and there
seems no good reason to allow overlapping ranges.
There's also no good reason to disallow it imho, so not sure we should
be doing that.

My concern was about a malicious user without CAP_IPC_LOCK abusing its memlock limit and repeatedly register the same buffer as that would tie up cpu/mem resources to pin up to 1TB of memory, but maybe the argument is that the user should have not been granted that large of memlock limit?  Also, without any restrictions, there are a huge number of ways overlapping ranges could be specified, creating a very large validation matrix.  What the use cases for that flexibility are though, I don't know.

--bijan