Re: Any performance gains from using per thread(thread local) urings?

On 13/05/2020 22:23, Dmitry Sychov wrote:
>> E.g. 100+ cores hammering on a spinlock/mutex protecting an SQ wouldn't do any good.
>
> Its possible to mitigate the hammering by using proxy buffer - instead
> of spinning, the particular thread
> could add the next entry into the buffer through XADD instead, and
> another thread currently holding an exclusive
> lock could in turn check this buffer and batch-submit all pending
> entries to SQ before leasing SQ mutex.

Sure there are many ways, but I think my point is clear.
FWIW, atomics/wait-free will fail to scale good enough after some point.

>> will be offloaded to an internal thread pool (aka io-wq), which is per io_uring by default, but can be shared if specified.
>
> Well, thats sounds like mumbo jumbo to me, does this mean that the
> kernel holds and internal pool of threads to
> perform uring tasks independent to the number of user urings?

If I parsed the question correctly, again, it creates a separate thread pool per
each new io_uring, if wasn't specified otherwise.

> If there are multiple kernel work flows bound to corresponding uring
> setups the issue with threads starvation could exist if they do not
> actively steal from each other SQs.
The threads can go to sleep or be dynamically created/destroyed.

Not sure what kind of starvation you meant, but feel free to rephrase your
questions if any of them weren't understood well.

> And starvation costs could be greater than allowing for multiple
> threads to dig into one uring queue, even under the exclusive lock.
Thread pools can be shared.

--
Pavel Begunkov