Re: liburing packaging issues

On 2/8/20 10:36 AM, Guillem Jover wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Stefan Metzmacher asked whether I could package and upload liburing
> for Debian (and as a side effect Ubuntu). And here are some of the
> things I've noticed that would be nice to get fixed or improved
> before I upload it there.
>
>   * The README states that the license is LGPL (I assume 2.1+ in
>     contrast to 2.1?) and MIT, but there's at least one header that's
>     GPL-2.0 + Linux-syscall-note, which I assume is due to it coming
>     from the kernel headers. Would be nice to have every file with an
>     explicit license grant, say at least with an SPDX tag, and update
>     the README.

OK, I can clarify that and add SPDX headers.

>   * From the RPM spec file and the debian packaging in the repo, I
>     assume there is no actual release tarball (didn't see on in
>     kernel.dk nor kernel.org)? It would be nice to have one with a
>     detached OpenPGP signature, so that we can include it in the
>     Debian source package, to chain and verify the provenance from
>     upstream.

I do generate release tar balls with a detached signature, see:

https://brick.kernel.dk/snaps/

>   * The test suite fails for me on the following unit tests:
>
>       read-write accept-link poll-many poll-v-poll short-read send_recv
>
>     while running on Linux 5.5.0-rc0. I read from the README it is not
>     supposed to work on old kernels, and might even crash them. But it
>     would still be nice if these tests would get SKIPPED, so that I can
>     enable them unconditionally to catch possible regressions and so they
>     do not make the package fail to build from source on the Debian build
>     daemons due to too old kernels, which in most cases will be one from
>     a Debian stable release (Linux 4.19.x or so).

The tests should build fine on any system, they just won't pass on any
system. So I don't think this is a packaging issue, don't run them as
part of building the package.

> There are a couple of issues with the build system, for which I'll be
> sending out a couple of patches later.

Thanks!

--
Jens Axboe