Re: What does IOSQE_IO_[HARD]LINK actually mean?

Hi,

On 2020-02-01 14:30:06 +0300, Pavel Begunkov wrote:
> On 01/02/2020 12:18, Andres Freund wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Reading the manpage from liburing I read:
> >        IOSQE_IO_LINK
> >               When  this  flag is specified, it forms a link with the next SQE in the submission ring. That next SQE
> >               will not be started before this one completes.  This, in effect, forms a chain of SQEs, which  can  be
> >               arbitrarily  long. The tail of the chain is denoted by the first SQE that does not have this flag set.
> >               This flag has no effect on previous SQE submissions, nor does it impact SQEs that are outside  of  the
> >               chain  tail.  This  means  that multiple chains can be executing in parallel, or chains and individual
> >               SQEs. Only members inside the chain are serialized. Available since 5.3.
> >
> >        IOSQE_IO_HARDLINK
> >               Like IOSQE_IO_LINK, but it doesn't sever regardless of the completion result.  Note that the link will
> >               still sever if we fail submitting the parent request, hard links are only resilient in the presence of
> >               completion results for requests that did submit correctly.  IOSQE_IO_HARDLINK  implies  IOSQE_IO_LINK.
> >               Available since 5.5.
> >
> > I can make some sense out of that description of IOSQE_IO_LINK without
> > looking at kernel code. But I don't think it's possible to understand
> > what happens when an earlier chain member fails, and what denotes an
> > error.  IOSQE_IO_HARDLINK's description kind of implies that
> > IOSQE_IO_LINK will not start the next request if there was a failure,
> > but doesn't define failure either.
> >

> Right, after a "failure" occurred for a IOSQE_IO_LINK request, all subsequent
> requests in the link won't be executed, but completed with -ECANCELED. However,
> if IOSQE_IO_HARDLINK set for the request, it won't sever/break the link and will
> continue to the next one.

I think something along those lines should be added to the manpage... I
think severing the link isn't really a good description, because it's
not like it's separating off the tail to be independent, or such. If
anything it's the opposite.

> > Looks like it's defined in a somewhat adhoc manner. For file read/write
> > subsequent requests are failed if they are a short read/write. But
> > e.g. for sendmsg that looks not to be the case.
> >

> As you said, it's defined rather sporadically. We should unify for it to make
> sense. I'd prefer to follow the read/write pattern.

I think one problem with that is that it's not necessarily useful to
insist on the length being the maximum allowed length. E.g. for a
recvmsg you'd likely want to not fail the request if you read less than
what you provided for, because that's just a normal occurance. It could
e.g. be useful to just start the next recv (with a different buffer)
immediately.

I'm not even sure it's generally sensible for read either, as that
doesn't work well for EOF, non-file FDs, ... Perhaps there's just no
good solution though.

> > Perhaps it'd make sense to reject use of IOSQE_IO_LINK outside ops where
> > it's meaningful?
>
> If we disregard it for either length-based operations or the rest ones (or
> whatever combination), the feature won't be flexible enough to be useful,
> but in combination it allows to remove much of context switches.

I really don't want to make it less useful ;) - In fact I'm pretty
excited about having it. I haven't yet implemented / benchmarked that,
but I think for databases it is likely to be very good to achieve low
but consistent IO queue depths for background tasks like checkpointing,
readahead, writeback etc, while still having a low context switch
rates. Without something like IOSQE_IO_LINK it's considerably harder to
have continuous IO that doesn't impact higher priority IO like journal
flushes.

Andres Freund