Re: Waiting for requests completions from multiple threads

On 22/01/2020 06:16, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On 1/21/20 8:09 PM, Dmitry Sychov wrote:
>> Thank you for quick reply! Yes I understand that I need a sort of
>> serializable-level isolation
>> when accessing the rings - I hope this could be done with a simple
>> atomic cmp-add after optimistic write ring update.
>
> That's not a bad idea, that could definitely work, and would be more
> efficient than just grabbing a lock.

If I got it right, it still will spam the system with atomics.
There is another pattern to consider, (seen in the networking world a lot). Just
one thread gets completions (i.e. calls io_uring_enter()), and than distributes
jobs to a thread pool.
And for this distribution there are a lot of way to do it efficiently. E.g. see
internal techniques in java fork join merge.

That's for completion part.

--
Pavel Begunkov