Re: [RFC 3/4] drm/i915: Interrupt driven fences

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 10:27:25AM -0700, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> On 03/26/2015 06:22 AM, Daniel Vetter wrote:

> >> As has been discussed many times in many forums, the scheduler requires
> >> notification of each batch buffer's completion. It needs to know so that it
> >> can submit new work, keep dependencies of outstanding work up to date, etc.
> >>
> >> Android is similar. With the native sync API, Android wants to be signaled
> >> about the completion of everything. Every single batch buffer submission
> >> comes with a request for a sync point that will be poked when that buffer
> >> completes. The kernel has no way of knowing which buffers are actually going
> >> to be waited on. There is no driver call anymore. User land simply waits on
> >> a file descriptor.
> >>
> >> I don't see how we can get away without generating an interrupt per batch.
> >
> > I've explained this a bit offline in a meeting, but here's finally the
> > mail version for the record. The reason we want to enable interrupts only
> > when needed is that interrupts don't scale. Looking around high throughput
> > pheriferals all try to avoid interrupts like the plague: netdev has
> > netpoll, block devices just gained the same because of ridiculously fast
> > ssds connected to pcie. And there's lots of people talking about insanely
> > tightly coupled gpu compute workloads (maybe not yet on intel gpus, but
> > it'll come).
> >
> > Now I fully agree that unfortunately the execlist hw design isn't awesome
> > and there's no way around receiving and processing an interrupt per batch.
> > But the hw folks are working on fixing these overheads again (or at least
> > attempting using the guc, I haven't seen the new numbers yet) and old hw
> > without the scheduler works perfectly fine with interrupts mostly
> > disabled. So just because we currently have a suboptimal hw design is imo
> > not a good reason to throw all the on-demand interrupt enabling and
> > handling overboard. I fully expect that we'll need it again. And I think
> > it's easier to keep it working than to first kick it out and then rebuild
> > it again.
> >
> > That's in a nutshell why I think we should keep all that machinery, even
> > though it won't be terribly useful for execlist (with or without the
> > scheduler).
>
> What is our interrupt frequency these days anyway, for an interrupt per
> batch completion, for a somewhat real set of workloads?  There's
> probably more to shave off of our interrupt handling overhead, which
> ought to help universally, but especially with execlists and sync point
> usages.  I think Chris was looking at that awhile back and removed some
> MMIO and such and got the overhead down, but I don't know where we stand
> today...

I guess you're referring to the pile of patches to reorder the
reads/writes for subordinate irq sources to only happen when they need to?
I.e. read only when we have a bit indicating so (unfortunately not
available for all of them) and write only if there's something to clear.

On a quick scan those patches all landed.

The other bit is making the mmio debug stuff faster. That one hasn't
converged yet to a version which both reduces the overhead without
destroying the usefulness of the debug functionality itself - unclaimed
mmio has helped a lot in chasing down runtime pm and power domain bugs in
our driver. So I really want to keep it around in some form by default, if
at all possible.

Maybe check out Chris latest patch and see whether you have a good idea?
I've run out on them a bit.
-Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter