Re: [RFC 00/22] Gen7 batch buffer command parser

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 12:24:14PM -0800, Volkin, Bradley D wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 11:35:38AM -0800, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> > I think long-term we should even scan secure batches. We'd need to allow
> > some registers which only the drm master (i.e. owner of the display
> > hardware) is allowed to do, e.g. for scanline waits. But once we have that
> > we should be able to port all current users of secure batches over to
> > scanned batches and so enforce this everywhere by default.
> >
> > The other issue is that igt tests assume to be able to run some evil
> > tests, so maybe we don't actually want this.
>
> Agreed. I thought we could handle this as a follow-up task once the basic stuff is
> in place, particularly given that we'd want to modify at least some users to test.
> I also wasn't sure if we would want the check to be root && master, as in the current
> secure flag, or just master.

So my plan to initially not parse secure batches might be shot. During further testing,
I found that it looks like Ubuntu 13.10 ships with fdo bug 71328 out of the box (sna
doesn't set the EXEC_SECURE flag when doing scanline waits). Sooo...

If we parse all batches and allow extra commands/registers from the drm master, should
that list just be the commands/registers used for scanline waits? Are there others you
can think of?

Brad