Re: no Search results for 3 Char From String

Hi Michael,

On Mon, 26 Aug 2024, at 9:59 PM, Michael Menge wrote:
> Is this a bug or intended behavior? Did i miss an config Option
>
> We are using squatter search engine with cyrus 3.4.9

I think this is intended behaviour.  Have a look at this from imap/squat.h:

https://github.com/cyrusimap/cyrus-imapd/blob/cyrus-imapd-3.4/imap/squat.h#L114-L120
/* Don't change this unless you're SURE you know what you're doing.
   Its only effect on the API is that searches for strings that are
   shorter than SQUAT_WORD_SIZE are not allowed.
   In SQUAT, a 'word' simply refers to a string of SQUAT_WORD_SIZE
   arbitrary bytes.
*/
#define SQUAT_WORD_SIZE 4

There isn't a config option, but if you really want 3 char searches to work, I suppose you could change that define, recompile/reinstall, and probably rebuild search indexes.  I have no idea what the ramifications of doing this would be, nor how the default value of 4 was chosen.  Looks like this define has always been 4 since squat db support was first added.  I guess indexes would probably get bigger, but who knows by how much.

Cheers,

ellie