Re: cyrus sync errors from 3.0.18 -> 3.4.8-patched

Hi Michael,

On Mon, 1 Jul 2024, at 9:34 PM, Michael Menge wrote:
> But there is one kind of a problem that i am still unable to resolve.
> As fare as i can tell, only folders unter "DELETED" have this problem.

Does this affect all "DELETED.*" folders, or do some of them succeed?

> the telemetry logs show the client did send a "APPLY MAILBOX " command,
> and the sever did reply with NO IMAP_PROTOCOL_ERROR Protocol error

"Protocol error" suggests it's having a problem parsing the command...

I ran our replication tests with a 3.0 source and a 3.4 destination (both built from the git branches), and most of the tests passed, including ones that replicate DELETED.* mailboxes.  The tests that failed weren't due to replication problems, just mismatched IMAP metadata afterwards (unsurprisingly).

Telemetry from one of the tests shows:

<1719966699<S0 SYNCGET USER ua
>1719966699>S0 OK success
[...]
<1719966699<S3 SYNCAPPLY MAILBOX %(UNIQUEID 7bd4d0ae-4679-453d-b2a5-af192a427297 MBOXNAME DELETED.user.ua.INBOX.hi.66849BEB SYNC_CRC 0 SYNC_CRC_ANNOT 0 LAST_UID 0 HIGHESTMODSEQ 2 RECENTUID 0 RECENTTIME 0 LAST_APPENDDATE 0 POP3_LAST_LOGIN 0 POP3_SHOW_AFTER 0 UIDVALIDITY 1719966700 PARTITION default ACL "ua      lrswipkxtecdan  admin   lrswipkxtecdan  anyone  p       " OPTIONS P RECORD ())
>1719966699>S3 OK success

So it seems like it's possible for a DELETED.* mailbox to replicate successfully, though I think this is a pretty trivial mailbox.  So then the question is: what's different between the ones that succeed and the ones that fail?

Are you able to dig out telemetry lines for one that worked and one that failed and compare them?  Details that might be interesting here are missing fields, strange characters, mismatched (), etc.

Cheers,

ellie