Deleting headers post delivery?

Hello,

I am tasked with deleting certain headers from emails post-delivery, but prior to long term archival.

As in: The emails arrived a while ago and any value for of the headers is gone.
Lets say I need to delete all the X-ms and X-Microsoft headers from emails that were received 6 months and more ago.

I can do a find ... -type f -name '.*' to find these emails and I can throw some python script on every file to edit the headers.

But, obviously this breaks cyrus' checksumming.

If I do a reconstruct -r -f -I -G on the mailbox, it will find the changed emails, but will record them as new (move them to a new "id"), therefore marking them as unread for everyone.

The question is: Is there a way to fix the checksum (and other metadata) in-place instead?
If I remember correctly, like 10 years ago reconstruct was able to do exactly that.

How would I do that nowadays?

br,
Jan