Re: Not yet squattered emails are always returned on any search (3.4 and later)

Hi Gabriele,

i reported the a related problem almost 5 years ago

https://github.com/cyrusimap/cyrus-imapd/issues/2598
There was a patch to to fix the problem that was merged into the master
branch and should be in cyrus 3.6. But i have not tested it jet fully.
The handeling of unindexed mails may have been not included in the patch.

I would like to see the return of a fully functional squatter, as it is much
easier to set up als xapian.

Quoting Gabriele Bulfon via Info <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

We tried to move to xapian, but we found it much slower than
squatter, both indexing and searching.
That's why we're stuck on latest 2.x.

I feel that from 3.2 to 3.4 a refactoring has been made to the
search engine code, thus killing the original code that
automatically added unindexed emails applying the same filter.
Also beware that folders without a cyrus.squat (never indexed) will
never return any result.
If we're able to solve the bug above, then we may fix this last
behaviour by letting code search unindexed emails when the squat
file is not present.
At the moment, fixing the missing squat file code, would result in
an full listing at any search.

Gabriele

Sonicle S.r.l. : http://www.sonicle.com
Music: http://www.gabrielebulfon.com