Re: Can the new mailserver already run and being used while the reconstruct is still running ?

Hi,

Quoting thom_schu@xxxxxx:

Hello,

I'm working on an upgrade from SLES12 + imapd 2.4.19 to Ubuntu 22.04 + imapd 3.4.5. The new mail-server  will run on new hardware.
While the old mail-server is still running, I made already some first rsyncs.

So the day I will finally switch from old to new, I shutdown the services on the old server and make a final rsync.
Then I will run a "reconstruct -V max".

I am not sure, regarding the "reconstruct" but you can use cyrus sync_client to transfare the data to the new server, and the syncserver on your new server will create the mailboxes
in the new format.

After the initial you can use rolling replication "sync_client -r". This has the additional advantage that cyrus will log the folders/data that has changed, reducing the need to scan and compare all mtimes for all mails. One rolling replication has catched up it the servers in sync minimizing the downtime

Arccording to the docu, it can take days. So my question: Can the
new mail-server run and completly used while reconstruct is running ?

thanks and regards

Thomas

Michael Menge                          Tel.: (49) 7071 / 29-70316
Universität Tübingen                   Fax.: (49) 7071 / 29-5912
Zentrum für Datenverarbeitung mail: michael.menge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Wächterstraße 76
72074 Tübingen