JMAP accountId format changing

Hello, Cyrus people!

This is a heads-up about a coming change in Cyrus.  Coding hasn't begun, but we know it must, so you may wish to think about how it may affect you.

The short form is this:  the accountId used in JMAP will be changing.  If you don't use JMAP, this will not affect you and you can stop reading.  Thanks for your time!

Right now, the accountId used for Cyrus JMAP is the name of the user: "username" or "username@xxxxxxxxxxx".  This second form is no good.  The @ sign is not permitted in the JMAP "Id" type.  Also it changes if the user is renamed — not common, but possible.

Not in the upcoming Cyrus 3.8, but in the subsequent release, we are looking to replace the use of the email address with something that is immutable and conformant to RFC 8620.  I expect this will be the mailbox guid of the user inbox.  Plan accordingly, and ask anything you need to know to do that!

--
Ricardo Signes (rjbs)
CTO, Fastmail