Re: CalDAV/CardDAV in a murder setup

Hi,

Quoting christian@xxxxxxx:

Hi,

We have recently been working on a cyrus murder setup including CalDAV and CardDAV.

For IMAP there are two possibilities to achieve high availability & load balancing:
* Use the proxing capability to get to the right backend
* Connect to a random backend and use IMAP Login referrals to find the correct backend.

For *DAV it seems proxying should be possible, but we quickly found at least two issues which seems to tell me nobody is using it this way: * PUT requests are not proxied (I put in a pull request to fix this: https://github.com/cyrusimap/cyrus-imapd/pull/4302) * autocreate does not work (is attempted on the proxy instead of the backend).

The alternative approach that somewhat mirrors what IMAP login referrals do would be to use the *DAV discovery mechanism essentially doing a 30x redirect to the correct backend,
but I don't suppose this is currently implemented?

I could work on either solution but was wondering whether somebody has solved a similar issue, or whether I'm overlooking something.

We are still using Cyrus 3.0 in a murder setup but without CalDAV/CardDAV
Redirect would not work in our setup as we use private (10.0.0.0/8) IPs for
our backends. We have disabled imap referrals for the same reason and use proxying
only.

Michael Menge                          Tel.: (49) 7071 / 29-70316
Universität Tübingen                   Fax.: (49) 7071 / 29-5912
Zentrum für Datenverarbeitung mail: michael.menge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Wächterstraße 76
72074 Tübingen