Re: sasl seems to be ignoring my Sendmail.conf

Thanks, I will try some of those -- neither in my system (gentoo) nor
in my other systems do I have a saslauthd.conf anywhere (except under
logwatch)..  I will see if I can find where sendmail reads
Sendmail.conf.

Thanks.

On Sun, 08 May 2022 21:57:10 -0400,
Deborah Pickett wrote:

> On 9/05/2022 08:43, John Covici wrote:
> > Thanks for your response, but no joy -- I get the same output  from
> > saslauthd -v  and sendmail still thinks it has no mechanisms.
> I can only speak to the cyrus-sasl side of things (we use Postfix
> not Sendmail here),
> but this smells like there's another config file that you're not
> editing because you don't know it exists.
>
> Maybe your sendmail is running chrooted? If so, the socket that
> saslauthd is listening on
> might not be visible to sendmail, or at least not be at the path
> you think it is. On Debian,
> saslauthd listens in two locations, one for chrooted postfix and
> one for non-chrooted cyrus.
>
> Maybe some exploratory breaking of things will help. Introduce a
> deliberate typo into a config
> file to be sure that something is reading it. Run saslauthd under
> strace or equivalent and see
> what files it is asking the OS to read. Stop saslauthd entirely
> and see if sendmail's behaviour
> changes.
>
> Also: saslauthd (auth server) doesn't itself read sendmail.conf;
> that looks like it's something
> that the libsasl (auth client) library is doing under
> Sendmail. Make sure that you look at
> saslauthd's config file (/etc/saslauthd.conf) too.
>
> Deborah Pickett
> System Administrator
> Polyfoam Australia Pty Ltd

How do