Can auxprop+sasldb do realm authentication?

My sasldb database includes a single user with a realm set to my top-level domain (i.e. not the FQDN of the host).

I created the user like this:

# saslpasswd2 -c testuser@xxxxxxx

and tried to test authentication like this:

# testsaslauthd -u testuser@xxxxxxx -p xxxxxx
0: NO "authentication failed"

and then this:

root@www:~# testsaslauthd -r pdjr.eu -u testuser -p xxxxxx
0: OK "Success."

Of course, I now want to authenticate a user from SMTP connections where Postfix presents the user as 'testuser@xxxxxxx' and from within imapd, which I imagine is doing the same thing.

I am unsure now how to proceed. On the imapd side I can find no options for the sasldb plugin that force realm decoding in the same way that the sql plugin can. Same for Postfix sasl authentication via saslauthd.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

root@www:~# saslauthd -v
saslauthd 2.1.27
authentication mechanisms: sasldb getpwent kerberos5 pam rimap shadow ldap

Paul