Perl version conflict after upgrade to Debian 11 Bullseye

Apologies if this is too basic/generic for here.
Previously on Debian 10 (Buster) I managed to compile cyrus-imapd 3.4.1 from backports and it has been running nicely for a couple of months.
Debian has subsequently released version 11 (Bullseye) and I have been looking at upgrading (on a sandboxed copy of my server). The distribution upgrade seems to complete OK but when I try to use cyradm to check on the server I get:
IMAP.c: Loadable library and perl binaries are mismatched (got handshake key 0xce00080, needed 0xed00080)
My instinct was to recompile cyrus-imapd to ensure that the latest versions of libraries are used throughout, but it doesn't seem to make any difference, cyradm is still looking for a different version of perl.
On the live server perl version is 5.28.1 and on the updated copy is 5.32.1

I created a configuration script previously so used that to ensure I built with all the same options:
autoreconf -i
./jim-configure-options.sh
make
make install

The script option for perl is --with-perl /usr/bin/perl which is where 5.32.1 is located

What am I missing? How do I re-compile cyrus-imapd to use the later version of perl?

Jim