Re: duplicate mailboxes upon migrating (different name forms)

On Wed, 25 Aug 2021, at 2:53 PM, brian ally wrote:

On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 3:51 PM Michael Menge <michael.menge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 There used to by a "-m" option for reconstruct that would by very
handy now but

> -m     NOTE: CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE
>
>              Rebuild  the  mailboxes file.  Use whatever data in the existing
>              mailboxes file it can scavenge, then scans all partitions listed
>              in the imapd.conf(5) file for additional mailboxes.

Perhaps I could uninstall cyrus and reinstall with the latest version that includes -m. I'd be grateful if someone can point me to any discussion about both how this works or why it was removed.

This is a red herring.  The documentation change that noted this option being "CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE" happened in 2002.  This is not even when the option was removed, just when the documentation was finally updated.

The commit that removed the '-m' functionality happened in 2000, and the commit message doesn't even mention that it was happening.  The removal might have been a mistake, it might have never worked and was just cleaned up along the way, there might have been some other sensible reason, who knows...

We have an open issue for bringing it back, but the world has changed a lot, so it would be a brand new implementation, not the old implementation revived.  You could subscribe to that issue if you want notifications as it progresses, but it's not here to help you now.

Sorry about the frustrating news!