Re: LDAP authentication and authorization using Debian and Active Directory

Finally got there, without TLS for now, that is tomorrows job!

I am posting my findings in case they can help someone in the future.

As expected I was really not understanding how the parameters were used and therefore had them all wrong.

ptload does do recursive searches and the behaviour for the first (with attributeDescription: 1.1) seems to be completely OK, the problem is if the settings for the other searches are wrong, it doesn't progress to them.

It looks like saslauthd caches successfully authentications because I only see it in the traffic the first time I make a successful connection for a user, I didn't round to working out how to clear the cache, but as far as I can tell this step is runs after ptload gets the authorization details, so if ptloader doesn't work, no authentication.

Users are in ou=SBSUsers,ou=Users,ou=MyBusiness,dc=MyCompany,dc=com

Groups are in ou=DistributionGroups,ou=MyBusiness,dc=MyCompany,dc=com

Groups and users have 'sAMAccountName' which is single word, the part before @, for a group the 'name' attribute is the same single word, but for users it is firstname lastname (this is just how I put users and groups in the directory). To avoid confusion for anyone reading my conf later I am using 'sAMAccountName' for users and 'name' for groups although 'sAMAccountName' will also work for groups and may be more reliable for some setups.

Active directory stores group members in the  'member' attribute of each group as dn's. There is no attribute that matches sAMAccountNames to groups. Also there is no attribute of a user which lists the groups it is in, that is to say, I can't see one in the LDAP attributes and whilst memberOf can be used from powershell I suspect it is doing something other than matching an ldap attribute, because it returned nothing for me.

The token %u passes the full username including any domain from the client, %U strips the domain off if present - in my setup we only login with the part before the @ so these work the same, but hopefully I have used %U everywhere to ensure compatability with 'sAMAccountName'

The token I had failed to note earlier is %D which passes the dn that is found in the previous search, we need this to filter for groups by their 'member' attribute.

So I need to search for a user in the user base using a filter, but use the default user attribute instead of setting one (seems to default to (objectClass=*)).

I need to filter groups using the group base, there is no attribute option for the group. I think this just makes sure the member search only looks in groups, in my case I have used the filter to restrict to distribution groups by specifying not some security group types I have identified in my directory, they may not be correct or exhaustive for other directories. This is all used in the member search and is not a search in its own right, at least as far as I can tell.

I also need to search for members in the groups and I use the filter method. With filter the attribute needs to return a single value - the group name. It seems that with the attribute method the attribute can hold multiple values so presumably you would use this if your user has an attribute with a list of groups it is a member of?  So I need to match my user in the 'member' attribute of the groups (limited by the group base and filter), which means I need to supply the users dn instead of the login name, i.e. %D instead of %U. And what I want back is the groups name or sAMAccountName.

So when ptload finds the user, gets the users dn, and searches for members of the groups by dn it returns all the (distribution) groups that the user is a member of, and then I guess exits successfully passing control to saslauthd to authenticate.

So, the section of my imapd.conf that does this, with our actual company name and bind credentials altered, but the ou's left the same otherwise, looks like this:

##
## Other LDAP items
## This is for AUTHORIZATION, we use saslauthd for AUTHENTICATION
##
# These may or may not be required, but since the idea is to keep all
# the user and group information in active directory we must surely need
# to tell cyrus how to find it?
#
# First we need to tell it to use ptloader for authorization
auth_mech: pts
#
# And tell ptloader to use LDAP
pts_module: ldap
ptloader_sock: /var/lib/cyrus/ptclient/ptsock
#
# The defaults for the cache settings should be fine
# db type defaults to twoskip, db_path to configdirectory/ptscache.db
# other settings are only for kerberos module
ptscache_db: twoskip
ptscache_db_path: /var/lib/cyrus/ptclient/ptscache.db
#
# General settings
# Probably also useful to tell cyrus where the LDAP is
#ldap_uri: ldaps:/temp-std.MyCompany.local:636
ldap_uri: ldap://temp-std.MyCompany.local:389
ldap_bind_dn: cn=auser,ou=SBSUsers,ou=Users,ou=MyBusiness,dc=MyCompany,dc=local
ldap_password: somethingsecret
# Don't attempt SASL for authorization, it is used for authentication already
ldap_sasl: 0
# For ldaps we will need version 3
ldap_version: 3
# Make sure cyrus can find the CA file to accept LDAP servers certificate
#ldap_ca_dir: /etc/ssl/certs/
# And ensure that we check the certificate
#ldap_verify_peer: 1
# Might also be worth specifying the ciphers we want
#ldap_ciphers: TLSv1.3:TLSv1.2:+TLSv1:+HIGH:!aNULL:@STRENGTH
# Set a limit on number of record for single query
ldap_size_limit: 100
#
# User lookups
# Set a default search base although it looks like we can set separately for users and groups
# This filter works to make sure the account is a user and not disabled
ldap_base: ou=MyBusiness,dc=MyCompany,dc=local
ldap_scope: sub
ldap_filter: (&(objectClass=person)(sAMAccountName=%u)(!(userAccountControl=514)))
# But lets have a simpler testing filter
#ldap_filter: (sAMAccountName=%U)
#
#
# Groups - we will need these for shared folder ACIs
# Set a filter to identify a group, this one ensures it is a distribution group
# and not a security group
ldap_group_base: ou=DistributionGroups,ou=MyBusiness,dc=MyCompany,dc=local
ldap_group_scope: sub
ldap_group_filter: (&(objectClass=group)(!(groupType=2147483656))(!(groupType=2147483652)))
#
# Method to extract members from the group, this is poorly documented but after much trial an
# error, the 'member' attribute in AD groups contains distinguished names (DNs) so need to
# use a filter to return all of the group names that contain the DN for our supplied username
# in their 'member' attribute'. %D is the token for the user dn
# The attribute for the group name we set to 'name' although 'sAMAccountName' returns the
# same value it is a bit confusing when debugging.
ldap_member_base: ou=DistributionGroups,ou=MyBusiness,dc=MyCompany,dc=local
ldap_member_scope: sub
ldap_member_method: filter
ldap_member_filter: (member=%D)
ldap_member_attribute: name
##
#

And with this configuration I can now authenticate users and ptdump now has information to display, which includes the groups for all users.

I still need to test with TLS re-enabled at each level (between cyrus and ldap server, and between client and cyrus) but I do not forsee this as an issue.

The only issue I see is that ptload has converted the group names to all lowercase and most of them had capitalisation, I assume this will confuse cyrus since the shared folders I will import have capitals but I'm sure I can rename them in cyradm if this is an issue and rejig the ACLS to suit.

I hope this info helps someone else.