Re: LDAP authentication and authorization using Debian and Active Directory

Hi Jim,

I’m not sure specifically what your issue is here but I’ll help provide some options for debugging ldap (specific to the windows logging question). I’d suggest dropping the TLS 636 LDAPS and just start with standard LDAP 389, removing TLS complexity whilst you validate a working configuration.

I’d suggest also just running wireshark on the domain controller where you expect ldap connections to reach and capture the 389 traffic with a filter of your source mail server (or component doing the authentication). You’d be able to assess the ldap flow; whether the server sees it or not (and what the response was from the server, if any).

You could also open another terminal, open saslauthd with strace and dump the authentication process to file to analyse what may be happening. If you can’t wireshark the target authentication service, you could perhaps tcpdump on the ldap client side, drop that into a .pcap file then open this in wireshark on your desktop for further analysis.

I’m hoping those potential options can help verify what is/isn’t happening. An absence of traffic leaving the server would imply something on the client side, ruling out the ldap server at fault - at least initially.

Hope this helps simplify troubleshooting and helps confirm what is/isn’t happening at least from an ldap perspective. Unsure of enabling ldap debugging in windows, I’ve searched for that for years and never really come up with a good solution. Wireshark and/or tcpdump has helped me solve all problems I’ve had with ldap/authentication although ldaps can be a bit more problematic when just using packet tracing software. Can still come in useful though.

Regards
Andrew

Sent from my iPhone