Re: Cyrus-imapd fails to bind on reboot when assigned to listen on specific IP

On Sun, 21 Mar 2021 at 16:51, Simon Matter <simon.matter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > When I don't specify an IP address, cyrus-imapd starts correctly on a
> > server reboot.
> >
> > When I specify IP / protocol:
> >
> >    imap   cmd="imapd"   listen="192.168.1.230:imap"  prefork=5  proto=tcp4
> >
> > cyrus-imapd tries to bind to those before it is available, and fails:
> >
> > Mar 20 20:53:31 emp87 cyrus/master[973]: unable to bind to imap/ipv4
> > socket: Cannot assign requested address
> > Mar 20 20:53:31 emp87 cyrus/master[973]: unable to create imap listener
> > socket: Cannot assign requested address
> >

> While thinking about it again, wouldn't it make sense to make master a bit
> more robust so that it tries to start a service if it failed before, as
> part of its maintenance functionality?

Depends if restarting is making things worse it's not always the correct thing
to do. You can change the systemd config to always restart it but this sort of
fix is always because of another underlying problem and not a good sign.

 I'm old and not the biggest systemd fan or biggest knowledge about it.
It is interesting seeing this thread. I can not see why cyrusd would not
depend not network and FS to be up or any email service not depending
on these 2 things working.

--
Simon Loader