Re: Log in to user mailbox as admin

On 3/16/21 9:29 AM, Neil Price wrote:
On 16/03/2021 2:35 pm, Nic Bernstein wrote:
So if I use this command I will connect to my own Inbox as the Admin user:
imtest -a admin -u nic imap.example.com
I gather there is no way of doing this from a generic client?

imapsync seems to have some way of doing it but perhaps it detects and uses cyrus specific code.

Neil,
If you're trying to access another user's mailboxes when logged in as administrator (or proxy) then you simply need to SELECT their mailbox once you're authenticated.  The actual reference to the other user's mailbox will depend on your namespace settings.  See this link for more details on namespaces:
http://www.cyrusimap.org/imap/concepts/features/namespaces.html
In brief, if you have altnamespace enabled, then you'll find other user's mailboxes in the "Other Users" prefix.  For example, ``<tag> SELECT "Other Users/nic"``  If not, then they'll be behind the "user/" prefix, like so; ``<tag> SELECT "user/nic"``

If you're using Thunderbird, and have 'altnamespace' enabled, and you have the correct ACLs, then the "Other Users" collection should appear in your mailbox list, like in the subscription dialogue, and you can subscribe, select, etc.

BTW: You do need to be thoughtful about your ACLs.  By default the admin user doesn't have read access to other user's mailboxes; you have to specifically grant those.  Some clients, like RoundCube, have modules available to grant access (share this mailbox) but many do not.  So you probably will have to go into 'cyradm' and grant rights as needed.

Cheers,
    -nic
--
Nic Bernstein                               nic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx