Re: OutLook support

On 2020-09-05 03:11, Deborah Pickett wrote:
On 2020-09-04 18.30, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
What's the status of interoperability today?
Will OL 2013 work reliably with CyrusIMAP 3.0? 3.2?
What about newer versions of OL?

Hi Andrea,

Hello.

I can offer anecdata of interoperability between Cyrus 3.0.x and Outlook 2016 from ten months of experience.

Thank you very much for sharing.

Like Outlook in general, it works fine, until it doesn't. With ~40 users with mailboxes up to 15 GB in size, I've had to help users start with fresh Outlook profiles about half a dozen times when their Outlook data file got corrupted.

Nothing new here: when I said pre-2013 version worked, what I meant is a ~50 users installation required 2-3 reconfigurations per month.
I can live with that.
Of course using ThunderBird would mean max. 2-3 per *year* or even less, but it's up to the customer to choose.

Some specific observations:

Like any IMAP account in Outlook, you lose the ability to tag messages with colour.  All you can do is flag or unflag a message.

Fine, I guess.

Outlook does not handle the \Deleted flag well, and it has a habit of showing messages which are \Deleted as if they are still present (especially in Drafts). I recommend configuring all clients sharing an account with Outlook to purge folders early and often.

True, I remember that.
Showing deleted messages with an overstroke and forcing the user to "delete twice" was puzzling most of my users.

Outlook respects special-use folders about as well as other IMAP clients, which is to say, not super-well.  If you try to change which folder is the Trash folder using cyradm, Outlook may not notice the change.

Fine as long as I can set this up for a new account.
Then I can always delete/recreate.

64-bit Outlook is needed if both (a) your data file is > 2 GB, and (b) you want search indexing to work.  With 32-bit Outlook, search will silently miss messages.

:-O
Thanks for pointing this out!

Outlook is inefficient at IMAP synchronization.  If you have large mailboxes, it can spend a lot of its time synchronizing subscribed folders.  There are ways of winnowing the list of folders that Outlook tries to sync during Send And Receive, and this helps a bit.

Now I remember this too...

Outlook by default wants to send read receipts.

What I found really annoying is "non-read" receipts.
In case a user loses view of a shared folders, OL will send a "non-read" receipt for any unread message, potentially queueing thousands of messages in a few seconds! This could be turned off in older versions; on post-2010 the option is either not there or hidden.
>:-<

To sync Outlook with Cyrus contacts, calendars and tasks, the free Outlook CalDav Synchronizer add-in works well (but sync rules are tedious to set up, and I haven't found a way to deploy preconfigured sync rules to users).  Outlook tries to disable the add-in because it slows down startup, but you can prevent this with a registry setting.

Thanks again.
I don't think I'll need this soon, but it's useful to know.

Rarely, Outlook will decide that a folder is local-only, and any messages moved into that folder will stop syncing with Cyrus.  The only fix I have found is to create a new Outlook profile (and then hunt for lost messages to drag back under synchronized folders).

Yes, I remember this too :-<
Does it at least shows the folder is local?
Then I could train the users to stop using it and call me.

These corruptions seem to occur more often in "Other Users" and "Shared Folders", but this might just be because said folders are huge (> 4 GB) in my company.

I hope I don't need to use this, at least for now.

Of course, it's unlikely that any of these irritations will ever get fixed by Microsoft.

That's sure.

In the long term, I am considering migrating my users from Outlook to Thunderbird or webmail.

All the users of my servers are using TB (along with mobile devices and occasionally RoundCube). Now I'm evaulating installing a new instance at a customer who is already using OutLook (so to overcome the limitations of their ISP, which only offers POP3).
I'll suggest they move to ThunderBird but:
a) habits are hard to lose;
b) some use a management software who might require OL :-(

 bye & Thanks
	av.
----
To Unsubscribe: