Re: Sendmail+Cyrus IMAP "Data format error" and bounces

On 2020-03-17 20:13, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
On 2020-03-17 15:52, Andrea Venturoli wrote:

Also, https://www.cyrusimap.org/imap/reference/manpages/configs/imapd.conf.html#std:cyrusman-imapd.conf(5), says "reject8bit: 0" is the default.

 From this I understand my setup should NOT reject 8bit headers (but change non-ASCII characters to X).

I'm now setting this explicitly and I'll see what happens.

In fact, nothing changed.

So, I made some tests.

I prepared a text file with the following content (notice the non-ASCII character at the end of the Subject) and saved it as mail.txt:
Subject: Provaà
.

"file mail.txt" says "mail.txt: UTF-8 Unicode text".

Then I pushed this to my mailserver with curl:
curl --url 'smtp://myserver:25' --mail-from 'ml@xxxxxxxxxxx' --mail-rcpt 'ml@xxxxxxxxxxx' --upload-file mail.txt

With "reject8bit: yes", sendmail refuses the message with "Message contains non-ASCII characters in headers". (Still don't know why it doesn't refuse it upfront, but bounces it!).

With "reject8bit: no", I get the message and the subject is translated to "ProvaXX", as I would expect, since rfc2047_utf8 is, by default, off.

Strangely, if I enable rfc2047_utf8, I still get "ProvaXX" as a subject.

In any case, it seems that, at least for the subject, UTF-8 characters are handled (almost) as expected.

*HOWEVER* curl does not use UTF8SMTPS, which is instead activated when I get mails that are bounced.

Any idea for a similar tool which can use UTF8SMTPS, so I can repeat that tests?

 bye & Thanks
	av.

P.S.
I also tried tcpdump to get full data on a troublesome mail, but, unfortunately TLS was enabled and I was not able to get clear data.
----
To Unsubscribe: