Re: Migration issue with seen/subscription/sieve databases

Il 30-12-2019 01:51 ellie timoney ha scritto:
You're both right.  Since 2.4ish (??  MAILBOX_MINOR_VERSION=12,
anyway), a user's seen status on their own mailboxes is stored in the
mailbox index.  But the separate userid.seen database is still used
for storing their seen state on mailboxes that they don't own (but
have ACL access to see).

On a system that was set up after that change, I think the userid.seen
file will only be created if the user views messages in a mailbox that
they don't own.  If no-one has access to view anyone else's mailbox,
this will never happen, which might explain why Patrick doesn't have
any .seen files.

Very valuable information, thanks!

It's probably safer to just rename them -- if nothing else, it'll be
less confusing next time you or someone else looks at them.  If you
wanted to move cautiously, you could hard link the corrected name, and
then unlink the old name later once you're sure everything's working
correctly.

True: in fact, I already prepared a "find" script which rename the affected files rather than soft-linking them (exactly to avoid confusions).

With your old installation being as old as it is, it may contain data
susceptible to https://github.com/cyrusimap/cyrus-imapd/issues/2839 (I
have just fixed a typo in the upgrade documentation that linked to the
wrong issue number, which will update on the web after the next hour.)
 This issue wasn't fixed until 3.0.11, so I would check carefully
whether CentOS has backported the patch to their 3.0.7 package.  There
have also been security fixes in releases since 3.0.7, so you probably
also want to check whether CentOS's 3.0.7 has backported these too.
If the CentOS package hasn't backported these fixes, consider running
the current version of Cyrus rather than the one CentOS provides.

Are you referring to the problem described here [1]? If so, from the linked page I read: "Versions of 3.0 prior to 3.0.11 contained a bug (Issue #2839) that could lead to loss of seen state/flags during reconstruct for some messages that already existed prior to Cyrus 2.3"

My Cyrus installation was never older than 2.3.x, so I thought the bug should not affect me. Am I wrong?

Thanks a lot.

[1] https://cyrusimap.org/imap/download/upgrade.html#reconstruct-databases-and-cache

Cheers,

ellie