From: Ellie Timoney <ellie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 03:29
To: Info-cyrus <info-cyrus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: cyrus-imapd build dependencies

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019, at 3:39 PM, Anatoli via Info-cyrus wrote:
> The Cyrus httpd provides DAV services (which use the HTTP protocol).  If you want the Cyrus httpd to support HTTP/2, you will need libnghttp2.  Otherwise it will only support HTTP/1.

Always wanted to ask what the nghttp2 dependency was for. From what you say I infer that it's only needed for HTTP/2. But what DAV service could benefit from this? Are there DAV clients that know HTTP/2?

No idea, but it's there if you want it!  Speculating wildly, it might be useful for JMAP?

And speaking about the SNMP agent, are there any plans to complete the transfer of its code from the master process to an independent daemon, issue #1765? (It needs to be moved out to implement efficient chroot)

It's more likely to disappear entirely (see https://github.com/cyrusimap/cyrus-imapd/pull/2100) in favour of Prometheus (which is more powerful, more flexible, more human-readable, and is actually used by Fastmail -- and therefore more tested).  But it won't disappear from a stable branch, so it won't be a surprise when it does.

Cheers,

ellie

----
To Unsubscribe: