Re: Upgrade to cyrus-imapd and connection drops when searching mailboxes

Hi,

Quoting "James B. Byrne via Info-cyrus" <info-cyrus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

cyrus-imapd30-3.0.8_2
Name           : cyrus-imapd30
Version        : 3.0.8_2
Installed on   : Tue Jan  8 11:07:34 2019 EST
Origin         : mail/cyrus-imapd30
Architecture   : FreeBSD:11:amd64
Prefix         : /usr/local
Categories     : ipv6 mail
Licenses       : BSD4CLAUSE
Maintainer     : ume@xxxxxxxxxxx

Since upgrading to this version from 3.0.8_1 on January 8 we have seen
a considerable increase of messages in the maillog that look similar
to this:

CYRUS/lmtpunix[79768]: mailbox: longlock user.name.delivery for 1.4
seconds

Where the number of seconds varies between 1.x and 11.x.  When I say
considerably I mean from between 10 and 30 per log rollover to over
800 today and it is not yet noon.

Perhaps coincidently, users are reporting imap connections dropping
when they are performing text searches on their mailboxes.  The user
mail client being squirrelmail.

have you configured a search engine? and have you enabled the conversation db.
Xapian and Squatter seam to require enabled conversation db to use the
search index. At least for squatter there is even a performance regression
for TEXT search even if conversation db is enabled
(https://github.com/cyrusimap/cyrus-imapd/issues/2598)

Are the longlock reports and the imap connection drop related?

An cyrus processes tires to gain access to the mailbox while an
other process is still accessing it. If this takes to long the client
might disconnect. You can try telemetry logging to discover what is
happening .

If imap drops a connection is the reason for that event logged?  Can
it be logged?

The question is which side drops the connection the cyrus-imapd process
or the imap client (squirrelmail)? tcpdum and telemetry logging might
reveal the answer.

What timeout is configured in squirrelmail?

M.Menge                                Tel.: (49) 7071/29-70316
Universität Tübingen                   Fax.: (49) 7071/29-5912
Zentrum für Datenverarbeitung mail: michael.menge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Wächterstraße 76
72074 Tübingen

----