Re: different sasl_mech_lists for imap and http?

Yes.  Each option in imapd.conf can be prefixed with a service name from cyrus.conf.

So if your services are named 'imap' and 'http', use:

imap_sasl_mech_list

http_sasl_mech_list

Definitely don't rely on Digest for http.  Most implementations are either broken or incompatible.  I should have never attempted to make DIGEST-MD5 work for http.