Re: What happened to normalizeuid?

--On 20. Januar 2017 um 07:34:20 -0600 Nic Bernstein <nic@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The "normalize" patch included by Debian isn't that far off from what the
option "usercase_tolower" already offers:

    username_tolower (*on*|off)
    Convert usernames to all lowercase before login/authentication.  This
    is useful with authentication backends which ignore case during
    username lookups (such as LDAP).

Here's what the Debian patch (0013-Normalize-the-authentication-ID.patch)
says:

    By normalize, it is intended that;

         1) Authentication IDs all can be lowercased for more accurate
            comparison without being volatile to, say, user error, and
         2) Any leading or trailing blank space can be stripped

And then they go on to patch, mostly, lib/auth_unix.c (as well as
global.c, imapoptions, etc.).

Other than trimming white space, I can't see what the big deal is with
this patch.

You are right. Thanks, I wasn't aware of that option. I can only guess that the normalizeuid patch pre-dates the username_tolower option, but the latter should be good enough.

Cheers
Sebastian
--
   .:.Sebastian Hagedorn - Weyertal 121 (Gebäude 133), Zimmer 2.02.:.
                .:.Regionales Rechenzentrum (RRZK).:.

----
To Unsubscribe: