limit max child per user or IP

Hi,

I'm running cyrus behind a perdition proxy and from time to time one of
my users is eating up "maxchild" which is set to 500 (it's just a small
server for friends and family) and no further connections are accepted
for other users. I checked /var/run/cyrus/proc and mostly "Archives"
folders are opened. I talked to the user to check his client settings,
but it's not clear why his client behaves like this.
 Is there a way to limit max connections per user or IP? Perdition
itself doesn't support this (only limit on the number of simultaneous
connections).

Ciao
Marcus

----