Re: Adding a 2.3.x replica [Documentation Bug]

Quoting Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

On Tue, 2011-02-15 at 13:28 +0100, Michael Menge wrote:
Quoting Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Mon, 2011-02-14 at 16:37 -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
>> Looking at
>> <http://www.cyrusimap.org/docs/cyrus-imapd/2.3.16/install-replication.php>
> Documentation Bug:
> "Add a line similar to the following in the STARTUP section of
> cyrus.conf"
> There is no "STARTUP" section, it is the "START" section.
> START {
>   # do not delete this entry!
>   recover       cmd="ctl_cyrusdb -r"
>   # this is only necessary if using idled for IMAP IDLE
>   idled         cmd="idled"
>   # Start the replication client (this is the master)
>   syncclient       cmd="sync_client -r"
If this method is used the master will wait till the syncclient can
reach the replica. This can cause unnessesary delays it the replica
is not running or can't be reached.

Won't this also mean that the sync will stop, and not resume, if
sync_client abends/stops/aborts?

Proceses in the STRAT section will not be restarted if the stop.
You need to monitor the sync_client and/or the synclog.

>> Reading the quote -
>> "Rolling" replication means that the "master" server continuously
>> synchonizes itself with the replica.
>> - I take this to mean that the master continuously *pushes* changes to
>> the replica [secondary]?
> Yep.
>> Is there a recommended/suggested value for sync_repeat_interval other
>> than the default of "1"?
> ?
>> Is there a recommended Method for bringing up a new replica for an
>> active master (with 1.4 million messages in its mailstore)
If the replica is running, you have to run the following command
to initialise the replica:
sync_client -u -f userlist.txt
userlist.txt is a file containing all users.
This can be done while the master and rolling replication
is running.

I assume the same can be applied for "-m" mode.

1.) Dump a mailbox list using:
  /usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/ctl_mboxlist -d | cut -f1 > /tmp/mailbox_list.txt
2.) Run the sync for that mailbox list
  /usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/sync_client  -m -v -l -f /tmp/mailbox_list.txt

this will not bring the sieve scripts in sync. The rolling replication
will sync them if they change, but it may take a very long time till
all scripts have been changed by the users.

This seems to just-die; but is working if I break-up the mailbox list
into units-of-work [rather than all at once].

did you see errors in your logfiles?

M.Menge                                Tel.: (49) 7071/29-70316
UniversitÃt TÃbingen                   Fax.: (49) 7071/29-5912
Zentrum fÃr Datenverarbeitung mail: michael.menge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
WÃchterstraÃe 76
72074 TÃbingen

----