Tuning some defaults for 2.5: lmtp_downcase_rcpt

Hi there,

(This is a re-posted message from our development mailing list.)

In our IRC channel, it was suggested to look at RFC 2821, section 2.4, quoted as saying:

"However, exploiting the case sensitivity of mailbox local-parts impedes interoperability and is discouraged."

The problem statement is as follows: The recipient is USER@xxxxxxxxx, and while the mailbox name is "user@xxxxxxxxx", or even "user", the mail bounced.

Not completely aware of the full implications and/or codebase, I wanted to put the topic on switching the default to be relaxed in the case of case sensitivity out there for discussion.

Long story short; the proposal is to ship with a default lmtp_downcase_rcpt of 1.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--

Senior Engineer, Kolab Systems AG