sql authentication

Hi,
I've been using cyrus imapd for years using saslauthd against unix passwd/shadow.
This way it's easy to understand the relation between a user and its mailbox.

Now I want to integrate authentication with a sql backend, forgetting about unix users.

I have a postgres db containing users and passwords.
These are actually a complete email and a password.

I would like imapd to authenticate using my db, where login is an email.
I've seen many ways to accomplish sql authentication, so I don't know which is the right one.
At last, how do I map the complete email to a cyrus mailbox?
For example, if a user succesfully authenticate as name.lastname@xxxxxxxxxx, how does
cyrus translate it into a user.mailbox?

Thanks for any help,
Gabriele.