idle extension not issuing EXISTS until after DONE

I have Cyrus IMAPD here on Ubuntu 10.04.  The banner identifies it as
v2.2.13-Debian-2.2.13-19.

I am using Evolution with it's new IDLE handling imapx provider.  I am
noticing strange behavior from the IMAP server though.  When a new
message is delivered into a mailbox that is being watched with an IDLE,
the server is not emitting an "EXISTS" to the client immediately.
Instead it is waiting for the client to close the IDLE with a DONE.

I have tried both the idled daemon and poll methods with the same
results.  I currently have the following in imapd.conf:

        idlemethod: poll
        imapidlepoll: 10
        idlesocket: /var/run/cyrus/socket/idle

Is there something I am missing?