Re: Live backup

Hi,

Quoting Elver Loho <elver.loho@xxxxxxxxx>:

Hi,

I'm looking to keep a live or near-live backup of our Cyrus system
(currently serving about 10 people with a fairly high volume of email)
and the murder system seems like an overkill for such a simple thing.
What other options do I have?

For MySQL I've set up master-slave replication. All the write queries
are replicated to the slave in near-real-time. It's good enough for
us. If the main server ever catches fire, we can promote the slave to
master and have an almost-up-to-the-second copy of things going on.
For PostgreSQL, I've set up a cronjob to dump the DB off the main
server every six hours and load it into the backup server. It's as
real-time as we need it.
Many folders that keep changing on the main server are rsynced over to
the backup server once a day.

What can I do with Cyrus that would be similar, but where I wouldn't
have to deploy scary murder? I don't want to access the Cyrus server
on the backup server, but I would like the ability to easily turn it
on after the main server fails and lose, at most, half an hour's worth
of emails.

AFAIK Cyrus murder does not help with backup. If you want disaster
recovery you can use cyrus_replication, but you need some other backup
tools for the other cases.

Regards

       Michael

Best,
Elver

elver.loho@xxxxxxxxx
+372 5661 6933
http://elver.wordpress.com/
skype: elver.loho
----

M.Menge                                Tel.: (49) 7071/29-70316
Universität Tübingen                   Fax.: (49) 7071/29-5912
Zentrum für Datenverarbeitung mail: michael.menge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Wächterstraße 76
72074 Tübingen

----