Re: DNS load balancing

Quoting Andre Nathan <andre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Hello

I'm setting up a two-machine cyrus cluster using OCFS2 over DRBD. The
setup is working fine, and I'm now considering the load balancing
options I have.

For Clustering Cyrus have a look at
http://cyrusimap.web.cmu.edu/twiki/bin/view/Cyrus/CyrusCluster

I have no experiance with OCFS2 but an active-active cyrus cluster
on a shared filesystem is tricky at best.

I believe the simplest option would be to simply rely on DNS load
balancing. However, for this to work, I need to consider what happens
when one of the cluster nodes fails, regarding the clients which access
the cluster:

Depending on the OS and Networksetting this can take some time,
because the OS and relaying DNS-server may cache the result.

 - Will IMAP and POP3 clients automatically try the second DNS entry if
   connecting to the first one fails?
 - Will the LMTP client also do this? I'm using the postfix LMTP client
   for delivery.

The will try to reconnect but might use the old DNS answer.

Does any one have experience with this kind of setup?

We use this kind of loadbalancing for web-proxys and smtp-server
but if one node fails there are some clients that try to connect
the failed node

You should take a look at ClusterIP, Cyrus Murder and Cyrus Replication

----

M.Menge                                Tel.: (49) 7071/29-70316
Universität Tübingen                   Fax.: (49) 7071/29-5912
Zentrum für Datenverarbeitung mail: michael.menge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Wächterstraße 76
72074 Tübingen

----