unexpected mailbox reservations

What causes mailbox reservations and how do you clear them without
server restarts?

I'm running through re-populating our cluster in advance of a go-live
next week and I'm finding that about one in every hundred or so return
"Mailbox is currently reserved" when trying to adjust quotas or create
sub-folders (that theoretically should already be there and return
"mailbox exists).  The server isn't yet in use so it isn't a matter of
anyone logging into it and, say, locking it over pop3.

Any ideas?

John

--
John Madden