Re: Strange reconstruct problem with version migration

Quoting Tim Champ <champ@xxxxxxxx>:

Hello all.

We've setup a new cyrus backend server with 2.3.15. (as a part of our
cyrus mail setup here)  Our current version is a patched up 2.3.8.  When
we xfer users from an "old" backend server to another "old" server and
then reconstruct, we have no problems.  It works as we'd expect - purges
expunged mails, etc.

When we do this from an "old" backend server to the "new" one, it always
sees the expunge file as not valid.  The message:

"Unable to verify header - deleting: $MAILBOX_PATH/cyrus.expunge"

using xfer you don't need to run reconstruct. But it should not harm.

The access to the mailbox, etc, all seems to work fine, except that any
mail that was previously deleted and not removed via cyr_expire (we do
delayed delete) returns to the mailbox.  This concerns us as we're not
sure why it wouldn't understand the expunge files.

reconstruct has a new option -k, to keep delayed delete mails.

Although we could not reconstruct post-move (we've done it for cleanup
purposes historically), it worries us that we'd place this version of
cyrus on an existing mail server and have this issue the first time a
reconstruct was needed.  (undead mail, as we've termed it)

Any ideas?  Still doing testing and trying things, but at a loss right
now.  If more information is needed, I'm happy to provide it.  We've
googled around, and searched the mail archives, read documenation, but
to no avail.

Thanks!

Tim
----

M.Menge                                Tel.: (49) 7071/29-70316
Universität Tübingen                   Fax.: (49) 7071/29-5912
Zentrum für Datenverarbeitung mail: michael.menge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Wächterstraße 76
72074 Tübingen

----