Re: Same mailbox with different logins

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 11:24:08PM +1000, Bron Gondwana wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 03:43:20PM +0300, Evgeniy Arbatov wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > A question: I want users authenticating with two different usernames
> > to Cyrus IMAP to be able to access the same mailbox.
> >
> > For example, I wish this to be the case ("login name" -> "mailbox"):
> >
> > username -> user/firstname.lastname@domain
> > firstname.lastname@domain ->  user/firstname.lastname@domain
> >
> > What would be the way to proceed?
>
> Well - we just put an nginx proxy in front, and have the authentication
> daemon return the "correct" username to pass to the backend, regardless
> of the username used.  That's one option.
>
> What's the use case anyway?  You can use aliases for delivery, why does
> the one user need two different usernames?

I don't know about the original poster but the ISP I work for has been
doing e-mail with sendmail and IMAP-UW.

All usernames are of the form username@maindomain, only they don't use
@maindomain.

Customer domain users use mailboxes of the form
domainSpecificPrefixOf2or3characters_localpart for
localpart@customerdomain.

virtusertable:
localpart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx	cd_localpart

We would like to get those users out of the maindomain and have them
switch to using mailboxes of localpart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and be able
to login as localpart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx but have compatibility with
the old way of loging in as cd_localpart as well, at least during the
transition period.

But we haven't gotten to giving that a lot of thought yet.

lambert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

----