Re: 'PLAIN encryption needed to use mechanism' error

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re: 'PLAIN encryption needed to use mechanism' error
From: Dan White <dwhite@xxxxxxx>
To: Blake Hudson <blake@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: info-cyrus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 2:49:51 AM
Blake,

What sasl lines do you have in /etc/imapd.conf. Do you have any proxies installed?
my mech list was posted... see below I also have "sasl_pwcheck_method: auxprop", everything else sasl has to do with my sql config. no proxies are present.

"pop3PRTC" in your syslog looks suspicious...:
that's just the name I gave it...

Usually, pop3 and imap will offer the same mechanisms based on this config item:

sasl_mech_list: x x x
as posted initially I have the following mech list line in imapd.conf:
sasl_mech_list: PLAIN LOGIN CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5
imap advertises the full list as specified (see original message)

if this line is commented out, then sasl should attempt to initialize all available mechs.

Be on the lookout for customization like this (which overrides the sasl_mech_list config item):

pop3_mech_list: x x x
imap_mech_list: x x x

good idea, though I don't have these specified.

I see your cyrus server is outputting the full mech list via 110... wonder why mine isn't?

------------YOURS-----
+OK <1114961040.1248853981@neo> neo Cyrus POP3 Murder v2.3.12-Debian-2.3.12-1-5
server ready
auth
+OK List of supported mechanisms follows
CRAM-MD5
PLAIN
GSSAPI
OTP
DIGEST-MD5
LOGIN
.
------------MINE-----
+OK twinP Cyrus POP3 v2.3.7-Invoca-RPM-2.3.7-2.el5 server ready <163906105530322
97444.1248854211@twinP>
auth
+OK List of supported mechanisms follows
DIGEST-MD5
CRAM-MD5
.

- Dan

Blake Hudson wrote:
Thanks for the reply Scott. I can auth as you described using the
User/Pass method (allowplaintext: is already set to 1 and I've also
tried sasl_minimum_layer: 0 at the same time).

My concern is that over port 110 the server is only advertising CRAM-MD5
and DIGEST-MD5. POP3s appears to be advertising PLAIN. Why isn't PLAIN
advertised over both?

--Blake