Re: Cyrus vs Dovecot

On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 12:53 +0200, Mathieu Kretchner wrote:> Adam Tauno Williams a écrit :> >> The real question is because we have only 2 options :> >> Why should I choose Cyrus instead of dovecot ?> > Features like delayed expunge, message expiration, etc... that allow you> > to have a managed mail store.  Cyrus is the only Open Source IMAP/POP> > server I know of with any capacity to support data-retention policies.> Ok thanks ! A good point on the cyrus side !> What about the performance ?
Cyrus performance is excellent.  Is there a specific problem?Personally I don't think anything is faster than Cyrus.
> Does my next configuration will run correctly ? Which hardware should I > buy for this activity ?
Beats me.
> At present, we have a lot of I/O, we wonder if the last version of cyrus > is improved for this point ?
If you have allot of users and allot of mail you are going to have allotof I/O.  No way around that, regardless of the server.  Cyrus' indexesheaders better now, so that might help.  But you still need adequatethrough-put.  I've found that /var/lib/imap (meta-data) needs fast I/Obut /var/spool/imap (message store) doesn't due too bad tossed onto aSAN or slower disks.