Re: Subject problem [munge8bit option provided by patch]

Title: Untitled Document
Andrzej Adam Filip wrote:
Joseph Brennan <brennan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

--On Thursday, April 3, 2008 17:26 +0300 Nikos Gatsis <ngatsis@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

I'm facing a strange problem.
Every message I receive with Greek characters in subject cyrus
"translate" them to XXXXX...

Does somebody know what's going on?

It means the Subject had 8-bit characters, not encoded.  The sender's
email program should be encoding them.  The header portion of mail
is required to be 7-bit only.

There are available patches that can "fix" the behavior:

<quote src="">
# Munging illegal characters in headers
# Headers of RFC2882 messages must not have characters with the 8th bit
# set. However, too many badly-written MUAs generate this, including most
# spamware. If you kept reject8bit disabled, you can choose to leave the
# crappage untouched by disabling this (if you don't care that IMAP SEARCH
# won't work right anymore.
munge8bit: no
</quote>

I have found this option and works fine now.
This problem appears when I send a form from my webpage with php. I have set Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit but with no luck.
Any help?

Thank you all
--

Γατσής Νίκος - Gatsis Nikos