Re: Can Cyrus deliver to a default mailbox?

Hi,

--On 25. März 2008 06:26:32 +0000 "J.J. Day" <day1234@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I am using Cyrus Imap 2.3 with Sendmail 8.14. I am new to both programs
so I may not be interpreting the results correctly. But it appears that
all mail to the system is received by sendmaiil as if the recipient is
valid regardless of whether or not a user & mailbox exists in Cyrus.

that's correct.

The
sendmail output from the sending system looks like:

    >>> RCPT To:<baduser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    >>> DATA
    250 2.1.5 <baduser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>... Recipient okThe message ends
up queued for delivery and a non delivery message is generated after the
retry period expires.

All mail to unknown users needs to be delivered to a "catchall" mailbox.
Currently sendmail
has a define for LUSER_RELAY and the imapd.conf file has an entry of
soft_nouath: 0.

So, I have two questions (I think either one will solve the problem)
1 - can Cyrus accept and deliver all messages to a default mailbox if the
user / mailbox doesn't exist?

See below.

2 - Is there a way for Cyrus to tell sendmail that the user doesn't
exist?

Yes. In fact there are several ways. We're using sendmail's virtusertable feature. You need an entry for each user. We've added the following entry:

@uni-koeln.de   error:5.1.1:550 User unknown

So all addresses not explicitly listed will be handled as errors. You could just as well redirect all mail to unknown users to a specific catch-all user.

Another approach is this one:

<http://jmaimon.com/sendmail/anfi.homeunix.net/sendmail/rtcyrus2.html>

Take your pick ...
--
    .:.Sebastian Hagedorn - RZKR-R1 (Gebäude 52), Zimmer 18.:.
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK

----